Friday, June 26, 2009

Dutch Oven Days!

During the summer, I struggle to muster much motivation to turn on the stove, heat up the kitchen and cook something; a few years ago, I discovered Dutch Oven cooking and have LOVED IT! I can't think of a Dutch Oven dish that I have not liked, however, this one is my absolute favorite of all time. My uncle is famous for this dish, so, in fairness, I cannot take the credit :) It tastes amazing, but, even better, it is fairly easy to make. My aunt and uncle have been bringing this to family get togethers for as long as I can remember. Thanks Brian and Vikki for sharing this one!!

Brian's Baked Beans:

1 lb Bacon, cubed
1 medium Onion, chopped
5 cans Pork and Beans
2 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar

The simplest way to get your coals started is in a chimney starter, but if you don't have one, any charcoal grill or fire pit will work just fine. You'll want to heat the coals for about 30 minutes before you begin (you could even prepare this over a burner if you want, but it's not as "authentic") I usually buy bulk bacon, the kind that's not even sliced yet, then I can cube it instead of cutting the strips, but, if you buy regular old sliced bacon it works as well. What you're going for is bite sized pieces of bacon. Grab a 12 inch Dutch Oven, heat it over hot coals and cook your bacon bites for a few minutes, you don't want the bacon crispy, just the fat cooked through. Add your chopped onion and saute until the onions are limp. Then, add your pork and beans, any brand will work, and the brown sugar. At this point, all you need to do is heat it through and serve. This is soooo good, I crave it during the summer!

No comments: