Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Chicken Curry in a Hurry

I have to be honest, I have not eaten much curry in my life, but each time I have it has been great. Mike, however, LOVES CURRY. He has never met one he didn’t like. So, the other night he was craving curry, so we went to work to find a good, make at home version of one of his favorite dishes. After some searching, we found this one, I highly recommend it! One of my favorite things is that its so easy to control the heat, if you like your food more spicy (which we do) then add more cayenne pepper.

Chicken Curry in a Hurry

2 Tablespoons Flour
1 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (we add at least 1 teaspoon to ours)
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 Tablespoons Oil
1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
1 Onion,sliced
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1 Cup Chicken Stock
1/3 Cup Golden Raisins
1 ½ Tablespoons Tomato Paste
¼ Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro
¼ Cup Plain Yogurt

Cube the chicken into bite sized pieces. In a large reseal able bag, combine flour, slat and cayenne. Drop the chicken into the flour mixture and shake until the chicken is well coated. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat and add chicken. Sprinkle curry powder over chicken in the skillet, then cook chicken until it is browned. Remove chicken and add onions and garlic to skillet. Sauté for about 3 minutes, until the onions are limp. Add chicken stock, tomato paste, raisins and cooked chicken. Simmer for 8-10 minutes, until sauce thickens. Serve over rice topped with cilantro and yogurt.

*Mike and I really enjoyed this dish, however, I doubled the chicken coated with flour mixture and only added half of it back in, the rest I saved to feed as “nuggets” to my picky boys and they really liked it with rice. My kid friendly tip!

No comments: